Sunday 1 April 2012

I am happy despite being left out of ’94 World Cup

Owubokiri, who was excluded from the World Cup, displaying his top scorer awards
Hello Friends!
I think personal happiness and fulfillment counts a whole lot. No matter what anyone says or does...

Brazil-based former Nigeria striker Richard Owubokiri tells TANA AIYEJINA online about his career, life in Brazil and why the country’s current strikers have not made an impact in Europe

Can Nigerians know about where you are living at the moment and what you are into?

I am a FIFA agent and I live in Salvador in Bazil. I started with my football academy here (Salvador) and later I went into coaching before I now settled as a FIFA agent

Why did you decide to settle in Brazil rather than Nigeria?

I was in Brazil during the early years of my football career and I have a family here too. Also, my businesses are located here.

You started your career at Sharks of Port Harcourt. How did you begin in those early days?

I thought I had the talent from God and I decided to play football. And again, my parents supported me even though football was not as lucrative then as it is now.
How did you make the trip to Brazil from Nigeria because not many Nigerians play in Brazil?

You may remember the Nigerian national team coach then, Otto Gloria, a Brazilian. Gloria and Sharks then Brazilian coach Luciano de Abreu both made me come to play in Brazil first for America FC in Rio and later for Vitoria.

How were you able to cope in a distant land like Brazil when you first got there?

I’m happy here because they are very grateful for all my efforts as a player. I feel so much at home.

So can you tell us how you got your breakthrough to Europe from Brazil?

While I was playing in Brazil, some European clubs saw me and were interested in my services and Metz of France bought me over.

You spent several years in the European topflight. What was the secret of your success?

It was due to dedication, willingness to succeed and of course God’s protection and direction

Can you recall your first cap for Nigeria?

That was back in the 1980s before the Africa Nations Cup in Libya, against Bolton Wanderers in Benin City. I scored a goal in that my debut game and it was a fantastic feeling wearing the green and white jersey and scoring in my first game for the country. It was a preparatory game towards the Nations Cup in Libya.

As defending champions, a lot was expected from the Green Eagles but they crashed out in the group stage. What happened?

Yes, I was in Libya with the team and played a full game against Zambia, which we lost. We just did not play well I must confess.

In 1992, you scored 30 goals for Boavista to emerge highest scorer in Portugal and second highest in Europe behind Scottish Ally McCoist. What was the magic?

I would say hard work, commitment to trainings and willingness to achieve success at the highest level. I never joked with my training and I was ready to learn.

But people said then that you should have been named top scorer ahead of McCoist who scored 34 goals. Why?

It was because he (McCoist) played 10 games more than I did. So some felt that I should have been given the top scorer’s award. Personally, I don’t feel bad about it, not at all.

You were expected to stroll into the Eagles line-up in the 1990s as one of Africa’s best strikers then but apart from the qualifier against South Africa where you scored, you weren’t given a look-in again by coach Clemens Westerhof…

(Cuts in) I have spoken publicly over this issue before and I have said what happened. I really don’t want to talk about it again because most Nigerians have heard the story as well. I would not want to go back on this subject again.

Okay. Westerhof preferred Rahidi Yekini to you in the top striker role. Do you think he was a better striker?

Checkout my records in Portugal and see how many golden shoes I won. Even in Asia, I was highest goals scorer; so also in Brazil. What I can say is that no other Nigerian striker in FIFA records has done more than me. The records are there for all.

So how did you feel missing out of the 1994 Nations Cup and the World Cup?

I knew I wasn’t going so it wasn’t a problem at all for me. Honestly I am happy with the career I had as a player.

In your time you scored double digit goals every season but our strikers are finding it hard now to score just 10 goals in a season. What is the cause?

They (Nigerian strikers) don’t even want to train and training is the main secret to success. It’s so shameful watching some of our strikers play these days. I was in Port Harcourt last October and went to watch Sharks FC training but I left so depressed with the strikers I saw. I respect them but ‘oh my God,’ they were not just what you expected from strikers. I felt demoralised. It’s terrible really.

In Brazil, their big stars return to their country from Europe to end their career but in Nigeria that is not happening…

(Cuts in) It is because no one would recognise whatever you may have done before. We have a short memory in Nigeria. They would not want to involve you and they would do all to silence you. Nigerians are such a hard people to deal with.

Are you happy with the way football is managed in Nigeria?

No, not at all. It is all about man-know-man. It’s not about the best always having the opportunity. You must know somebody for things to work out for you in Nigeria and with Nigerians.

Can you recount your best moments as a footballer?

Wow. There are many of them. I was twice highest goal scorer in Nigeria; I was top scorer in Brazil in 1984 with 15 goals in 18 games and in 1985 with 22 goals in 26 matches. It was wonderful playing in the same league with players like Zico, Careca, Socrates, Falcao and other greats. In France I was fourth highest scorer in 1987; in Portugal I was top scorer in the 1991/92 season and second in 1992/93. In Qatar I was also highest scorer in 1996/97 season. I just thank God for everything. I couldn’t have wished for more in life.

Do you have any worst moments?

No.

On a personal note, can you tell us about your family and would you encourage your kids to play football?

I have a son and two daughters. Unfortunately my son did not follow his dad’s footsteps. He is not into football.

Are you hoping to return to Nigeria to give back to the game?

If I receive a frank offer, yes. But if not, I shall stay where people acknowledge what I did and what I am doing.

Who is the most difficult defender you played against?

He is here in Brazil and he is called Guaraci. He played for Bahai in the 1980s. He was a central defender and very difficult to beat; he was equally very fast.

What is your advice to Nigerian footballers?

They should leave the money aspect of the game and look for ways to improve themselves individualy. They should train to get to near perfection and play football to please the Nigerian football fans. With all these, the money will come without extra effort.

Do you prefer foreign coaches to Nigerians managing the Eagles?

Of course (Stephen) Keshi is capable. We don’t have any need for foreign coaches any more in Nigeria. Keshi was my roommate during my Eagles days. He is capable of successfully coaching the team.

Compare and contrast today’s Eagles and that of your time.

There is no basis for comparison. We went out to play to entertain, to showcase our talent. It is not the case these days.

Did you encounter racism in your time as a player in Europe?

It was only once in France that something like that happened. But you would always have a case of it somewhere. A player said a word or two on the pitch against me.


Source: The Punch.

xoxo
Simply Cheska..

No comments:

Post a Comment