Tuesday 8 May 2012

Mixed feelings trail compensation to violence victims


Some of the victims during the registration of their vandalised property


Hello Friends!



Mixed feelings have continued to trail the compensation given to some victims of the recent violence in Ebute Meta area of Lagos by a member of the House of Representatives representing the Lagos Mainland Constituency, Mr. Alao Owolabi.

During the March 4 violence, which lasted for several hours, hoodlums unleashed mayhem on the residents and vandalised over 40 vehicles and two tricycles. Also, seven shops were looted during the incident.

Eyewitnesses had blamed the violence on Owolabi’s supporters, who besieged the area to avenge the harassment of the lawmaker by some hoodlums the previous day.

But the lawmaker denied any involvement in the violence, saying he only reported his harassment to the police.

Owolabi told PUNCH Metro that he compensated the victims on humanitarian ground and as their representative in the National Assembly.

He narrated, “I don’t know anything about the violence. A day to the violence, I was going out with a late friend and I saw some boys holding a party on the street. When I saw them, I wanted to reverse my car but one of them asked me not to.

“All of a sudden they all gathered around my vehicle. Then, the crowd increased and one of them said I should not give them money on the spot to avoid commotion. Some disagreed with him.

“So, when I left, I went to report to the police and I was given three armed policemen. The boys removed my money and started throwing bottles at me.

“The next morning, I had the information that some boys wanted to retaliate. And as we were discussing the issue in my compound, we heard that they were already fighting. So, by the time I came out, I saw that they had vandalised some vehicles.”

Although he did not mention the amount of money he earmarked for the compensation, Owolabi said the money was given to the Denton Police Division for onward distribution to the victims.

Meanwhile, an electronics dealer, who identified himself simply as Dauda, confirmed that he got some money.

He said, “After the incident, we were invited to the police station and given some money. After that, I also got some money from Owolabi. In all, I got about N30,000 out of about N100,000 losses that I incurred.”

Another victim, Mr. Richard Taiwo, said he got N20,000 but still added N12, 000 to repair his vandalised car.

Another victim, who identified himself simply as Emeka, said he got N11, 000 out of the N30, 000 he spent to repair his car.

However, a victim, Mrs. Sherifat Salami, whose goods at 19, Herbert Macaulay Street were allegedly stolen by the hoodlums, said she was not compensated.

She said, “I was not given any money. When I got to the police station, the police said I wanted to take advantage of the situation and I left angrily.”

Mrs. Ngozi Onyeachi, another trader, who claimed she was robbed of N62, 000, said she did not receive any compensation.

“I did not go because I did not know when we were told to report at the station,” she said.

Culled from Punch Metro.

xoxo
Simply Cheska...

No comments:

Post a Comment