Monday 15 October 2012

‘Hosting a talk show won’t stop me from acting’...


Hello Friends!

Bimbo Akintola is one of the most versatile characters in the Nollywood movie industry. Her first role was in the movie entitled, ‘Out of Bounds’ for which she bagged an award as the Best Actress. She has also featured in flicks such as, The Mourning After, Out of Bounds, Diamond Ring, Dangerous Twins, and a host of others. Currently, she is one of the anchors of the newly debuted Amazons, a TV talk show. The graduate of Theatre Arts from the University of Ibadan talks about her new passion

As somebody who has always been an actress, how did you get into hosting a talk show?

The Amazons has nothing to do with my career in acting; even though they do share some of similarities. First, it gives me more confidence to ask questions. I understand so many things because of my acting background but it does not affect how I interpret roles or even my acting style in anyway whatsoever. With the talk show and my acting, I know how to comport myself in front of a camera, I know the meaning of what pauses in a sentence can achieve, smiling for the camera or being able to pass across a message in a believable way.

Are you comfortable with three women hosting a show?

I think the idea was to get three different views. We are professionals from different family background, so we can have an input from three different points. I think this makes it stronger than a one-woman show. It is not only about women. It’s really for everyone— young, old, married couples, single men and basically for adults. You find it interesting to watch because one topic or the other will be something that affects you in some way or the other.

Don’t you think the Amazon could become moribund one day like other talk shows in Nigeria?

Yes, it could end up like other talk shows in Nigeria, but the idea is that we are working to ensure that, this does not happen. That is also one of the reasons for having three different professionals on the show. We are all very motivated women and the things we are talking about are not things that are unrealistic. They are things that affect each and every one of us. This is what will make it last a long time.

Will you continue as an actress when the full weight of the talk show comes on you?

I would always act because acting is my first love and passion. I believe acting is not just about but being able to teach and educate people. I am able to inform people and affect lives through the portrayal of any particular character that I put on. So, I would always act and produce. The talk show will not stop me from doing anything else because we do bulk-recording.

What do you aim to achieve in a year after this talk show has kicked off?

Amazons will touch lives. After a year, we should have succeeded in finding solutions to many emotional, psychological and social problems of people. Basically, the programme will be able to change the way people view issues.

Culled from The Punch Nigeria.

xoxo
Simply Cheska...

No comments:

Post a Comment