Saturday 2 June 2012

How marketer cheated on me – Chimere Emejuob



Hello Friends!


After many years of suffering in silence, Nollywood soundtrack producer and gospel artiste, Chimere Emejuobi opens up to Showtime Celebrity on how the marketer of her maiden album, “Cry for Help” worship songs cheated on her by paying her a token sum of N3 per copy of the CD sold in the market. She also laments the choice of using the face of Nkeiru Slyvanus to market the album.

Hear her story…

As a soundtrack producer

Ihave been in the industry shortly after my secondary education in 1996. I’m a soundtrack producer, singer and aspiring movie producer.I have produced many soundtracks. The popular ones were “Cry for Help”, “Warrior’s Heart”, “Corporate Maid”, “Sleep Walker”, and others I can’t remember now. I’m a singer, that’s why I decided to go into producing soundtracks instead of acting. I believe I can do better in the production of soundtrack than acting in movies.

Venturing into acting

Yes, I’m yet to decide. But if I do, I think I will make a good actress. For now, I want to concentrate on one area. Maybe, in the near future, I may go into acting.

Why Nkeiru Slyvanus’ face was used to market “Cry for Help”

My first album was titled “Cry for Help” worship songs. I derived this title from the film ‘Cry for Help’, which soundtrack was produced by me. I was the one who introduced the worship songs to my marketer, Annex Merchandise and encouraged him to put on CD.

But when the album was finally released, the marketer did not deem it necessary to put my face on the CD jacket as the singer. Instead, he used Nkiru Sylvanus’ face and the faces of other cast of the movie. The songs has nothing to do with the movie. He took some clips from the movie and put them on the CD without my consent.

The CD in circulation is the promo-copy I did for the television stations prior to the shooting of the music video. I’m planning to shoot the video any moment from now.

However, when I confronted the marketer, he denied knowledge of the released music. The marketer who indicted his younger brother over the release msuic, said he travelled to Europe when the album was miraculously released. Later, he decided to put a faded picture of mine on the CD jacket.

At a point, I had to arrest those hawking the CD in the streets in Owerri. I was infuriated, and I had to seize a copy of the CD. I later drew the attention of the marketer, and insisted that we must have a written agreement in respect of the distribution of the album. At last, he agreed to be paying me N3 per copy of the CD sold. But as I’m talking to you today, he has reneged from the agreement. The last time he paid me was some years back. In fact, when I lost my father severall yaers ago, I approached him to pay me the backlog, but he instructed his boys to pay me only N60,000. That was the last money I collected money from him.

Until now, the CD is still in high demand in the market, yet I’m getting nothing in return. Anywhere you go today, you would see pirated copies of ‘Cry for Help’ CD. People thought I made money from the album. But I didn’t make anything.

I’m currently rebranding the music, and when I’m finally through with the project, people will ascertain who the original singer of the songs is. I now owe a record label, and I’m planning to reproduce the music under my record label. Currently, I’m being managed by an American based company.

Some people even believe that Chimere Emejuobi is a man. At times, when I introduce myself as Chimere Emejuobi, people tend to doubt me because they have not been familiar with my face. Sometimes, I had to convince people that I’m the voice behind the ‘Cry for Help’ and “Ï have Confidence in You” worship songs. And not Nkiru Sylvanus. People believed Nkiru Sylvanus was the artiste behind the songs. But she is not; the marketer just used her face to sell the CD, at my own detriment.

My journey into singing

I relocated to Onitsha after my secondary school. Through my uncle, Chibest Investment introduced me into music. He took me to the studio, after he heard me render a song. He later introduced me to one of the biggest Onitsha based gospel band . I started as a back-up singer. I ‘ve done backed up for some popular gospel artistes, such as Obi Nwankwo and host of others.

Later, I did a sound-track of two movies titled “Obiora and “Father without a Child.” I relocated to Enugu, basically to go into acting.

While in Enugu, I realised that once you are not connected, it might be difficult for you to get a role. At most, you would be given what they call “Waka pass” role of which I was not ready to do it. But upon realising that I have once done a movie soundtrack, I started convincing marketers to give me a chance to prove my mantle.

But none of them were willing. Eventually, one marketer decided to give me a chance to showcase my talent in the movie titled ‘Anointed’. I did the soundtrack of the movie with Emeka Rollas.

Unfortunately, Emeke Rollas failed to give me credit in the movie. I wrote the songs and also produced the soundtrack. Later, when I confronted him, he only told me I was nobody in the industry. I felt bad, I know that one day, God would see me through. It wasn’t long when the marketer produced another movie and I approached him again. He had the impression that it was Emeka Rollas who produced the soundtrack of his previous movie.

But when I recited the song for him, he became convinced . He decided to give me another chance. But the films that brought me to limelight were “Cry for Help,” “Warriors Heart” and many others.

Did you dream of becoming a singer

I had a dream of becoming a newscaster. When I was growing up, I have always envied newscasters, and wished I could one day be like them. But I know I have that gift of singing as well as being a TV personality.

Eembarrassing moments

I could recall one day, while I was singing along the road, one guy heard me, and complimented me. He asked if I’m a singer and I answered him in the affirmative. Pushing further, he inquired to know if I have an album in the market, and I answered him in the affirmative. I mentioned one of my songs But when ‘I have Confidence in You,” he argued with me that I was not the artiste behind the song.

I tried to convince him but he wouldn’t believe me. There are so many cases like that. I felt embarrassed that day, and when I got to my house, I cried unto God, asking why I’m facing all these embarrassments. That’s why I’m doing everything possible to correct the impression. The problem has affected my second album, and I don’t want it to affect my forthcoming album. than.


Culled from The Vanguard Newspapers.

xoxo
Simply Cheska...



No comments:

Post a Comment