Friday 16 March 2012

Updates From Windsor Castle UK:..Day 2

The Back Of The Windsor Castle

Hello Friends!
Like I promised, I would share my brief vacation in the UK (my first time) with you. My sincere reason for doing this is to show you the effects and relevance of first impressions...

As pointed out on Day 1, I have never loved/liked the UK, but being here first hand, has changed my feeling towards her.

I used to think that the average British, was rigid (I know their legal system is not flexible) and too full of himself / herself but from my brief experiences so far and my couzins' experiences for almost 30 years, they are as warm and friendly as Nigerians..

 Before I give you a load down of the knowledge I acquired from my visit to the Windsor Castle yesterday, let me stress the importance of giving every human being we come in contact with, the benefit of a doubt. Never ever read/judge a book by just its cover.

 Open it, scan carefully through its contents and savour the pleasure of discovering all that is contained in each words of the book. In essence, People are never what they seem or claim to be. We must endevour to see them from our own eyes, after we must have given them a chance to prove their worth.

 Everybody deserves to be told that he or she is worthy and appreciated...

 Well, I had the most amazing, eye opening and uplifting experience just seeing the Country home of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the 11, the Queen of England. It is a tourist's delight! A show of British Historical Richness and Culture! I felt like I was watching "The Tudors'' all over again, as I walked through the entire Castle and its magnificent apartments! (The State Apartments)...


Yours Truly staring at the pretty statue of Queen Victoria 1


The Windsor Castle is one of the official residences of her Majesty the Queen. The Queen is officially in residence at Windsor twice a year (at Easter and again in June). By the way, she was in residence yesterday as the British flag was up!

Windsor Castle was founded by William the Conqueror (reigned 1066-1087) at the end of the 11th century.This magnificent castle located in the cool and beautiful town of Windsor, has been the home of 39 Monarchs, and is the oldest royal residence in the British isles to have remained in continuous use.

Visitors are allowed to walk round the castle and have a feel of rich history, war fought and won and many great men and women who contributed in their own little way to the greatness of the British empire.

I was thrilled as I walked int the State Apartments inside the Castle. The State Apartments are frequently used by members of the Royal Family for events in support of organizations of which they are patrons and for the annual Windsor festival. Royal weddings, baptisms and birthday celebrations have been held at Windsor for centuries...

I was particulary proud to see the festac head that was presented to her Majesty in 1973 by President Gowon..It stood in its show of Nigerian Cultural heritage inside one of the apartments...No video cameras or pictures are allowed inside. I respect the Queen even more for allowing the entire world with her vast culture to partake in her history - The British History through the eyes of the Monarch.

The Castle is divided into wards. The steepy sloping lower Ward is the most public part of the precincts, encompassing the ecclesiastical and collegiate life of the St George's Chapel and the residences of the Military Knights of Windsor!

The Guard Room with its parade ground, is also located in the lower Ward, in a range of buildings against the 13th century west wall.

 My cousin (who has visited the Castle almost 10 times, asked a question that got me thinking...Would the doors of Aso Rock in Nigeria be freely opened to the world to see and share and appreciate? I don't think so.

 The Gothic style of the Castle's architecture is simply ''out of this world''. The paintings speaks directly to any lover of the arts. As I spent time (like other visitors with me) going through each spectacular apartment and the St George's Chapel, I relived in my mind's eye, every era of the past Royals of Britain.

If you are a lover of History and Adventure, you would completely agree with me.

In spite of the tragic fire in 1992 that almost destroyed the wealth and beauty of  The Windsor Castle, it is still standing in its magnificent splendour and grandeur and restored to the glory that was originally intended.

The only thing that almost spoilt my day, was that I missed (or didn't wait) for the bus back to my hotel (my cousin could not pick me up from Oxford street after we left Windsor). I had to survey the shops on Oxford Street and after that was accomplished, I could not locate my way back! Una sister lost for inside London o! Forgetting that the taxis here are paid for as the meter reads, got me into trouble as I almost paid 12 Pounds for a cab!!!! * closes eyes in embarrassment*.
After asking 3 kind British gentlemen (I feel their guys are nicer though, just my personal opinion) at different times of my quest back to the hotel, I gave up! As God would have it, my cousin on impulse, drove past me and could not believe how far I had walked! By the way, I couldn't reach anyone because my phone went off! Flat Battery! Did not remember my cousin's number at all! I nearly cried o!

Well, in spite of that little crisis, my entire day 2 was great!!!! Oh,I had a quick lunch at Nandos in Windsor and took some away to eat in the car...Make una nor mind me...It's not everyday you get to enjoy a vacation...

Today would be spent  at Madame Tussauds Wax Figures Center, where you have replicas of famous people in wax...

Pictures in a bit!
xoxo
Simply Cheska...

No comments:

Post a Comment