Tuesday 17 January 2012

The Essence Of The Struggle..(The January 2012 Fuel Strike)


Hello Friends!

I particularly do not like "Politics" as it's played in Nigeria, but I passionately believe in the Truth and what Politics should represent...
I empathize with the people who lost their lives during the 7½ days strike instigated by the National Labour Congress to speak against the fuel increase from N65 to N141.
I really do not want to talk about the daily happenings of the entire experience as I was actively involved, but I need to raise certain points that boils down to the OBJECTIVES of the Strike in the first instance:

To my mind/heart, only one singular objective comes to mind and I would be correct to say that 99% of Nigerians agree with me. The sole objective of the NLC Strike was to appeal to the conscience (if there is any) of the Federal Government to consider the average Nigerian and thus revert the price from N141 to N65... Painfully, this objective was NOT MET.

Personally, I do not agree with any excuse/reason given for not reverting to this initial price because the sufferings of the average (and indeed all Nigerians) Nigerian is still pending. Transportation and the general cost of living have increased by 50% or even 100% in most quarters.

Most disturbing, are the questions on every lip: Did we lose as a people or where we fooled by the NLC? Is our NLC reliable? It would be fair to always look at both sides of every coin. My verdict from what I perceive and would always believe is that the battle might have been lost, but the war is sure on. The war against deceit, corruption and the cabals behind the petroleum industry. It is not a day's battle but a WAR. Thankfully, every Nigerian now has a passion to fight this war!

So in that light, we did not lose the battle as it is still ongoing...We are still in the process of seeing this fight to the end. I sincerely believe that even the Federal Government of Nigeria with Jonathan as her main representative, is now 100% sure that Nigerians can no longer be taken for granted. 

We can fight our WAR by ourselves!
If you had seen the way and passionate manner most protesters came out on Monday 16 January 2012 defying the "No public protests or rallies" in the presence of Military men, you would agree that Nigerians are now ready to take their country by "fire or by force!"

In respect to whether the NLC failed us or not, I would say “not exactly" as I feel they considered the fact that the Military could have been provoked to shoot at innocent but lawful Nigerians yesterday or any day of the week, if the strike had continued. The thought of losing more lives, could have been the motive behind calling off the "stay at home strike".  This is my opinion and thought...

Again, I also believe that the "stay at home strike" was an expensive test to see how Nigerians would re act to the N97 fuel increase. (Reduction as some would think, from N141 to N97). Unfortunately, both the NLC and the Federal Government, in spite of the Military threat to our rights to peaceful expression, were all disappointed!

In a nutshell, the essence of the struggle is still on going as we would rely on the strength of all the civil societies that stood solidly behind Nigerians and Nigeria. If you ask me, I feel the NLC so far, have performed well (in relation to the length of the strike) but we might not be able to completely rely on them! However you look at it, this is the bitter truth!

Let all our reputable civil societies maintain their strengths and struggle for a better Nigeria! Let all Nigerians come out of the pain they now feel as a result of the "let down". The War is not over yet. We are our own Leaders and our own Government! We are Democracy and we must live it as it should be lived!

The essence of the struggle is YOU & I. We are the new Nigeria.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria that is void of Corruption!

XOXO

Simply Cheska







1 comment: