Friday 17 February 2012

Don Jazzy apologises over anti-rap comments...

Don JazzyHello Friends!
On Entertainment News Today, here's my favourite, courtesy The Punch Newspapers:Mo’Hits Records boss and popular producer, Don Jazzy, has apologized to Nigerian rappers over his recent comment in an interview with Hip Hop World magazine. In the latest among his expanding catalogue of verbal faux pas, Don Jazzy is quoted as saying, “If you decide that you want to do rap, there is one thing that you should put at the back of your mind; your parents are not proud of you whether you like it or not.” He also subtly called out combative lyricist, Mode nine, saying, “I think Mode nine is a very good rapper but I’m not a big fan of his music because that’s like the old school of rap. I really can’t understand, I can’t take dictionary and be listening to your lyrics, I’m sorry.”While other popular rappers have refused to comment publicly, preferring to whine in private, perhaps in deference to Don Jazzy’s larger than life image, rapper, Terry Tha Rapman of the Boys Are Not Smiling fame, and a Mode nine ally, would not be cowed. He tweets, “I Just read what Don Jazzy said about rappers and rap music, with all due respect, that’s just WRONG! It’s a diss to us rappers.” Terry goes on to tell entertainment portal, TheNet, that he finds it funny that Don Jazzy dedicated half of the controversial interview to pointedly dissing Nigerian rappers. “It’s surprising yet apologetic,” he quips. Capital Hill Records rapper-producer, Ill Bliss, also tweets, “So, our folks ain't proud of us? Wow.”Early in the week, the hitherto taciturn but prolific producer caused a statement to be published on the label’s website where he apologized to Terry Tha Rap man and other rappers. “My bro, I am so sorry about what I said. Please, do not take it the wrong way. I would do my best to explain what exactly I meant Sir. I like rap. I wish I could rap but unfortunately, I can’t. That aside, what I meant was simply the fact that I don’t know any Nigerian parent above 40 that can recite our rap word for word. That would be something. If there are hip fathers and mothers in Nigeria, I don’t think they would be more than five per cent of parents.” Continuing, he states,“Our parents love to dance and sing along to songs that they like and brag to there (sic) friends that their son is the one singing. You can only imagine how upset they would be if their friends don’t understand or can’t rap along with their loved son.”
He cites the example of one of his artistes, Dr. Sid, who used to be a rapper but whose father, popular Nigerian actor, Justus Esiri, used to hate that he was a musician. “I personally think he was just frustrated because he didn’t understand the kind of music his son was doing. Today, his father is a true believer since he could sing “Something about you” to his wife.” He cites other examples, declaring that some of the rappers around actually do have songs that cut across “because of the sweet melodies on the chorus, meaning more kids and adults alike can sing along. I might be wrong but I have succeeded in this game by knowing the market I’m selling to.”Concluding, he apologizes, “To those that feel offended by my statement, I am sincerely sorry.”

Last Words: I love Don Jazzy, but he should refrain from interviews he might not have been prepared for, he should get a PA or Publicist who would prepare him for interviews and research on the mind of the people on interview topics. Contrary to what he said, most parents these days are mighty proud of their children becoming musical artist! My brother is a Civil engineer /upcoming Gospel Rap artist and my mum is so proud of him (we all are). In spite of the negative effect Don Jazzy's interview has generated, I admire the fact that he was quick to note his mistake and apologize.This is humility and maturity. Let us give him some credit for this.

XOXO
Simply Cheska.

No comments:

Post a Comment